The Cape Cod Baseball League is the premier amateur baseball league in the nation since 1885. The Cape League embarks this June for its 133rd season, featuring a 44-game regular-season schedule and an action-packed postseason made up of best-of-three quarterfinal, semifinal and championship series. Among the highlights will be the 2018 Cape League All-Star game on Sunday, July 22 at Whitehouse Field, home of the Harwich Mariners.
The Cape League is recognized as the best amateur summer leagues in the country by college coaches and professional baseball scouts. Players from across the USA and representing all college divisions are recruited to play in the 10-team loop. Traveling throughout Cape Cod you will always be able to catch a game with our teams being in Bourne, Brewster, Chatham, Cotuit, Falmouth, Harwich, Hyannis, Orleans, Wareham and Yarmouth-Dennis. Each of these fields/teams are unique and we urge you to check out each one! You won’t want to miss any of the action as this is the place to see the “Future Stars of Tomorrow”. ~ Cape Cod Baseball League
Here are 5 reasons why we love summertime baseball:
- History is made every summer. No matter what, we are guaranteed to see a player reach a milestone in their career every summer.
- Baseball is the only sport in which the team that is winning must continue to play the game. Baseball forces the winning team to continue to pitch and play defense, which means no game is over until the final out is made.
- Any team can make a comeback at any time.
- There is no clock in baseball, so that means that as long as a team is willing to fight, they are still in the game.
- One of our favorite reasons is that it’s so analytical. Before every pitch you need to think about the offensive situation, the defensive situation, where you want to hit the ball, where you’re going to throw the ball if it’s hit to you, where you’re going to run if the ball isn’t hit to you… the list goes on and on. Baseball players are some of the sharpest athletes in sports.
Images courtesy of the Cape Cod Baseball League.