Since the first European shipwreck of the Sparrowhawk on Nauset Beach in 1626, hundreds of vessels have wrecked on the shores and shoals of Cape Cod. Since 1848, nine US Life Saving Stations staffed with rescue crews were joined by the building of several lighthouses, all in service to provide safe passage to ships off the coast of the Cape. Fourteen lighthouses still stand on the Cape’s coastline many welcome visitors.
Wings Neck Light | Pocasset
Built for Buzzards Bay navigation it was in operation between 1889 and 1945.
Nobska Lighthouse | Falmouth
Constructed in 1826 between Vineyard Sound and Buzzards Bay and later replaced by a cast iron tower.
Sandy Neck Light | Barnstable
Constructed in 1826 and replaced in 1857. Discontinued in 1931 and replaced with a skeleton tower in 1952.
Lewis Bay Light | Hyannis
Constructed in 1849 to mark the entrance to Lewis Bay, a busy maritime port.
Bass River Light | West Dennis
Built in 1889 it is now owned and operated by the Lighthouse Inn.
Stage Harbor Light | Chatham
Constructed in 1880 and discontinued in 1933 and replaced by a skeleton tower.
Monomoy Light | Chatham
The Monomoy Light was built as a wood tower in 1823 and replaced with a cast iron tower in 1849. Discontinued in 1923.
Chatham Light | Chatham
Constructed in 1808 and later replaced by two wooden towers known as the Twin Lights in 1841. In 1877, two new cast iron towers were built, one of which would be transferred to Eastham to become Nauset Lighthouse in 1923.
Nauset Light | Eastham
Originally built as a twin tower with the Chatham Light it was moved and rebuilt in Eastham 1923. In the 1980s it was moved farther back from the erosion of the cliff.
Three Sisters | Eastham
Originally a group of 3 lighthouses but due to erosion the original buildings fell into the sea at around 1890. They were rebuilt in 1911 and then moved slightly inland when the Nauset Light tower was constructed on the site.
Highland Light | Truro
The oldest of the Cape Cod lighthouses it is located within the Cape Cod National Seashore. Constructed in 1797 and reconstructed in 1857.
Race Point Light | Provincetown
Built in 1816, and the tower was built in 1876.
Wood End Light | Provincetown
Still operating for the approach into the Provincetown Harbor. Constructed in 1872 and converted to solar power in 1981.
Long Point Light | Provincetown
A square tower constructed at the southwest entrance of the Provincetown Harbor.
Looking for a Cape Cod Vacation Rental? Book Direct for the best deals and cost saving opportunities.
Check our Advanced Search Options for current off season and summer 2019 vacation rentals.